Intelligent transport systems
With urbanisation on the rise and traffic volumes ever increasing, federal and state governments cannot build new infrastructure quickly enough to cope with demand. Road network operators must now carry out major infrastructure upgrades to ensure that drivers continue to have a safe, fast and more reliable journey.
Visionstream, partners with public and private sector operators to provide innovative and sustainable transport solutions that allow customers to make more informed decisions.
Upgrading Victoria’s roads
Carrying more than 180,000 vehicles a day, the West Gate Freeway is one of Victoria’s major arterials. VicRoads sought a partner to develop a Managed Motorway system that would improve the travel experience between Williamstown Road and the M80 Interchange. The system would also need to link to other existing ITS systems operated by VicRoads.
Visionstream was awarded this contract in 2013 and brought its considerable, proven and successful experience working with VicRoads to upgrade, design, construct, integrate and maintain traffic management systems throughout the state.
The purpose of the West Gate Managed Motorway Project was to upgrade the ITS to enable VicRoads to:
- better manage traffic flow
- improve reliability and safety
- create a smarter road.
To help VicRoads achieve the project outcomes and improve traffic flow for Melbourne’s motorists on one of Australia’s busiest roads, Visionstream applied its existing, contemporary experience to design a system that integrated with the existing ITS. Construction was completed in 2014 and included the longest gantry in the Southern Hemisphere.
Visionstream is currently providing two-years of maintenance services on the new ITS.
Key features of Visionstream’s integrated solution for VicRoads include:
- lane use management signs and associated gantries (including the longest gantry in the Southern Hemisphere)
- non-intrusive traffic data collection stations
- CCTV cameras
- supporting ICT infrastructure including active equipment, fibre network, pits cabinets and conduits
- integration of new section of ITS equipment into the existing ITS FMS network including communications links and access switches
- power systems and reticulation.
Sustainable and reliable solutions
Visionstream partners with you to deliver real measureable value, while ensuring driver and employee safety and minimising impacts on local communities and the environment. The breadth of our services and our ability to scale across Australia and New Zealand means we can provide any organisation a complete turnkey approach, reducing risk and whole-of-life project costs.
With more than two decades of industry experience, Visionstream has designed and completed many of the country’s largest communications networks across a wide range of fixed and wireless technologies.
Our end-to-end project commitment to you is backed by industry leading project performance, robust project management, in-house technical capabilities and 24/7 real-time support. We also work seamlessly with our extensive sub-contractor network and a wide range of technology vendors and carriers to provide the best solution for you.
- Integrated solution for ITS upgrade enabling improved traffic flow on Australia’s busiest motorway.
- Construction of longest overhead gantry in the Southern Hemisphere.
- Designed beyond original contract definition to ensure integration and alignment with existing ITS.
- Enhanced connectivity between VicRoads’ two major motorways - enabling flexible and aligned traffic management.
- Identified and eliminated numerous single points of failure risk areas in the existing network.